ACQUIRE, RETAIN AND MANAGE YOUR OPERATORs LICENCE WITH JCS TRANSPORT
Benefit from over 40 years of combined industry expertise
Who needs an Operator Licence?
As a rule, anyone who operates a vehicle or vehicle and trailer combination that weighs 3.5 tonnes or more for commercial purposes will need to hold an operator’s licence.
JCS Transport Consultancy has the specialist knowledge to help you manage the operator licence process which can be complicated to oversee.
We provide support for all your operator licence requirements either through a continuous transport management service (for those using a restricted operators’ licence) or one-off assistance with the application form submission that will ensure everything is done accurately.
Our service can be tailored to meet your specific business requirements. During Covid, we are providing this service remotely, via online.
Types of Operator LicenCes
There are three types of licence for running HGV vehicles:
Restricted Operator Licence
This licence allows you to transport your own goods in order to carry out your business. For example, a scaffolding company who transports materials between sites will need a restricted licence.
Standard National Operator Licence
This licence allows you to transport goods for hire or reward within the UK.
Standard International Operators Licence
This licence allows you to transport goods for hire or reward internationally.
Peace of mind for all operator licence requirements
JCS Transport Consultancy has the expertise and experience to handle all operator licence requirements so you can rest assured you’re legally covered. During Covid, we are providing our operator licence service online.
This peace-of-mind means you’ll never have to worry about the regular roadside checks conducted by the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency, nor any of the checks they also do on operating centres.
The information gathered during these checks is sent to the Traffic Commissioner. If your company is found to be operating without a valid licence or breaking the terms of the licence, that licence could be taken away, suspended or restricted.
The traffic commissioner can also choose to call you to a public inquiry to consider if any action against your licence is necessary.
Restricted operator licence holders, whose core business is not transport, are more at risk of regulation breaches because they usually do not employ a transport manager in-house to be monitoring these matters.
JCS continuous transport management service
We cover all licences and can take care of the licence application process as well as ongoing management of the licence process – leaving you free to do what you do best.
For restricted licence operators, this service brings reassurance that you are fully compliant with the law and won’t inadvertently fall foul of their legal obligations. In effect, we act as your transport manager – without any of the overheads.
We also carry out compliance audits at the request of the company or on behalf of the Traffic Commissioner.
Our specialist transport management service also includes a 24-hour telephone support line for retained clients.
What our customers say
“QUICK, PROFESSIONAL AND KNOWLEDGEABLE SERVICE.”
“VERY EASY COMPANY TO DEAL WITH – THEY GO OUT THEIR WAY TO MAKE SURE THEY HELP.”
“VERY HELPFUL AND FRIENDLY – NOTHING IS TOO MUCH TROUBLE. WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND.”
“WE HAVE HAD AN AMAZINGLY SUPPORTIVE, INFORMATIVE AND PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE COUPLED WITH A FRIENDLY AND PRAGMATIC APPROACH.”
Operator Licence FAQs
Do I need an operator’s licence?
What is a restricted operator licence?
However, your business must have the systems and processes in place to demonstrate you comply with all areas covered by the restricted operator licence. This is why choosing JCS Transport Consultancy’s continuous management service can prove so beneficial.
What is a standard national licence?
When you get a standard international licence, you can also request the issue of Community Licences which allow:
- trips between all EU member countries
- transit traffic through EU member countries
- cabotage (journeys entirely within one EU country by a vehicle registered in a different EU country).
How can JCS Transport Consultancy help me manage my operator’s licence?
We will create a bespoke transport management service exclusively to meet the needs of your business and ways of working. Our practical approach makes it easier for you and your workforce to understand, embed and comply with your obligations. It also saves you money by highlighting areas you can easily manage in-house.
This option is for companies that:
- Are not fully conversant in the regulations relating to their operator’s licence and vehicles
- Do not feel confident enough or have the relevant experience to manage the entire transport operation
- Are too busy to manage the transport side of their business
- Do not have the budget or need for an in-house transport manager.
- Ensuring all current and future drivers are fully aware of the driver’s hours and tachograph regulations
- Analysing digital tachograph data to ensure driver’s hours and working time regulations are being adhered to
- Inspection of maintenance records to ensure all vehicles are being properly inspected and maintained
- Establishing and maintaining a driver defect reporting system
- Managing individual vehicle files to identify forthcoming expiry of MOTs, vehicle tax or tachograph inspection and calibration certificates
- Regular on-site visits – from once a week to once a year – whatever you need.
Once we establish what type of licence you require, JCS Transport Consultancy can assist you with the following:
- Completing the GV79 application form
- Completing the INT1 form if an Interim Operator’s Licence is required
- Completing the TM1 form if a Transport Manager is required
- Advise you on the financial information you must provide and the evidence to substantiate your submission
- Respond on your behalf to information requested by the Office of the Traffic Commissioner.
Get in touch
Our specialist transport management service also includes a 24-hour telephone support line for retained clients. You can talk to us about FORS accreditation, Operator Licencing, Tachograph Analysis and Driver CPC. Contact us on Call 0333 987 4657 if you have further questions and one of our specialists will be able to assist you further.